Accounting Career Consultants
Director of Investment Accounting St. Louis, MO
Job Reference: JOB-24934
The Director, Investment Accounting, is dedicated to developing solutions for new investment strategies and leading accounting operations for alternative assets, commercial mortgage loans and lifetime mortgages. This will require investigation of system capability, writing of accounting specs and testing plans, assistance to IT in implementation, conducting user acceptance testing, working through open issues with IT, and the delivery of ready to use accounting solutions in the various accounting systems.
Hands on development effort will include prototyping solutions, coordinating discussions on strategic aspects, training those to use the new methodologies, documenting implemented solutions, and owning results and timeframes to implement.
- Periodically receive project list including current prioritization.
- Assess practical system implementation by liaising with the vendor, IT, and investment operation teams
- Write accounting spec with accounting entries and logic for each accounting event.
- Submit spec for approval.
- Write accounting testing plan to cover all critical implementation aspects, known system deficiencies, and key accounting event aspects.
- Design implementation timeframe and implementation plan.
- Present requirements to Financial IT and support implementation efforts
- Complete actual acceptance testing and provide IT with support to resolve issues
- Formally document implementation results and provide support for ultimate accounting implementation into production including IT migration of code.
- Train associated staff on new processes and procedures
- Manage alternative asset, commercial mortgage loan and lifetime mortgage accounting operations
- Help to develop new tools and processes to support accounting needs.
- Lead development of accounting infrastructure / processes to allow incorporation of current and evolving investment strategies
- Provide training support of newly developed system tools, accounting rules, and other new related tools where person has developed
- Active involvement in new deal process including supporting new instrument types, new currencies, and/or new accounting methodologies, etc.
- Provide feedback to VP of Investment Accounting Operations on likely future system improvement ideas.
Requirements Education Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Mathematics or equivalent working experience
- 5+ years related work experience in related industry dealing with non- standard complex financial instruments.
- Strong Leadership and Management Skills
- Independent Project Management or System Management Skills
- Preferred: CFA Accreditation or MBA or master’s degree in business, science, or mathematics or advanced actuarial level Demonstrated Accounting Knowledge (e.g. controllership role, advanced college studies in accounting) Alternative asset (real estate joint ventures or limited partnership accounting experience)
- Commerical mortgage loan accounting experience
Experience and Skills Required:
- Highly motivated self-starter who takes great pride in hands on solving of problems, testing of results, providing of feedback to resolve immediate and strategic issues.
- Good knowledge of accounting theory and practices with the ability to learn and apply key principles quickly Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with complex business scenarios.
- Strong ability to quickly adapt to new methods, work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions
- Strong business knowledge with knowledge of broad investments business practices
- Advanced ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/ accepted solutions Ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functions, and technical disciplines
- Organized person capable of balancing multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Advanced Word and Excel skills
I look forward to assisting you with your search and assessing whether this role could be a good fit for you. Please apply for confidential consideration!
Tel: 314-292-7908 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org